Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

Week 31

Related to my post pregnancy worries I've been diagnosed with Beta-Thalessemia Minor.
Forget na about my Gestational Diabetes since after my HBA1C test was normal... Scheduled visit to the Dietitian was also cancelled. But it was noted on the recent blood test that I had an elevated HbA2 witj HbF, and is Suggestive of Beta-Thalassemia Trait, I was then referred to a Hematologist for work up.
Luckily I opt to visit our Company OB and Doctor for second opinion... They accommodate me even though I am pregnant (company policy is that any pregnancy related concern is not covered with our health insurance). The doctor explain to me that the blood disorder found in me is in-fact my blood and not the baby's so she refer me to a hematologist. I had CBC before I see the hematologist.

After a series of blood extraction
As per the series of another blood test... the hematologist explain my case to me further, that the disorder was genetics and it is a 'minor' (Thank God) but I may still need to have a blood transfusion prior to delivery since my Hemoglobin Count is way too low. mine is only 8.5 (the average is 12-16 for women) and in all cases of pregnancy the hemoglobin count usually drops but at least 10. She advised me with medicine and that even though I am anemic (due to the beta-thalessemia minor) I do not need to increase my Iron supplement is Iron in my blood is suffice (as per another blood test).

I'll be having another CBC test a month before my delivery and I still have to see her so that she can have notes for my OB.

As of now I am taking my Meds as prescribed, and lifting everything to God that everything will be ok.

I found this and transfer my notes from my phone to this journal
As per my Baby Girl. She's fine, though I was advised to drink plenty of water...
I was exited to see her in an ultrasound session so I asked my husband if she can accompany me during BPS (bio physical score), since I have this beta-thalessemia thing my OB advised to undergo the test to make sure that baby is OK.




No comments: